When you buy a home, you expect the homeowner and realtor to disclose any issues the home has, especially if those issues are costly or could cause health problems. One such problem in a home could be the presence of toxic mold.
Mold isn't particularly uncommon in homes. Toxic mold is dangerous, though. Black mold is discussed frequently, but it's not the only kind you have to watch out for. Other types that could end up making you sick. Some of the most common molds found in homes include penicillium, alternaria, stachybotrys atra, cladosporium and aspergillus.
Why is mold so dangerous?
Mold can produce volatile organic compounds, also known as VOCs. These VOCs give the home a "musty" smell, which is how you know the mold is present and giving off toxins. Not all molds give off dangerous VOCs, but any mold in a home is a sign that worse could be on its way. It's a good idea to address the mold issue quickly to eliminate it.
What symptoms can mold exposure cause?
Mold exposure can lead to sore throats, fevers, asthma exacerbations, skin irritation, headaches, allergies, respiratory problems and other symptoms.
What should you do if mold problems weren't disclosed by a realtor or homeowner?
It's a good idea to refer to your contract first. It may be a possibility for you to have the mold issue repaired and paid for by the homeowner. If not, then you might want to consider seeking a legal claim against the individual for failing to disclose toxins and dangers on your property.